Wednesday 6 March 2013

I'm not crazy, i'm poor.

This year instead of winging it i decided maybe it was a good idea to actually read up on what i was growing and maybe even read the directions on the seed packets. Directions are for suckers i used to think, i'm not that bright sometimes.
I have a greenhouse this year that is an actual building and is in fact not made out of plastic. It has heat and fans and all the lovely things you need, except water...I forgot to purchase a rain barrel before winter so every morning in my pj's i drive to my parents house and walk a watering can back and forth from the kitchen. Yes only one can, i'm poor, the second can has to wait until i can afford it. This one watering can business isn't so bad right now, only takes two trips, however; i'm planting a bunch of stuff on Sunday so i'm sure this one watering can bullshit will end pretty soon.
Here is the greenhouse, i look like a damn professional!


This time around i actually put some sort of nutrients in the soil when i planted my seeds, hell i even used a soil less planting mix.I have onions and herbs up and the onions are even growing their second leafy thing (is it a leaf? or is a sprout?) everything seems to be going extremely well.

Look....sprouts.



Nothing goes extremely well for long...

Yesterday i woke up with a cold from hell and went to go water the plants in my pj's as usual. I ended up having to shovel for an hour and then i broke the door to the green house.
The whole bottom just snapped right off.
You know that moment were you just loose it and turn into that 4 year old child that's throwing a tantrum in the grocery store over cookies. That was me in my pink panther pj's and a whinny the pooh hat, at the age of 30. Definitely not a high point in my life.
I found some bricks stuffed them in the crack at the bottom of the door, watered the damn plants, got in my car and went home.
This morning was even better! This time i was smart and didn't wear my pj's, i figured after yesterday it would probably get worse and it did. I walked into the greenhouse to discover the furnace had quit in the middle of the night and the greenhouse was at freezing temperatures. My heart sunk, i start checking the plants and everything seems to be okay, for now. Onions apparently like the cold, however i can't say the same for the lemon tree but that thing has been on deaths door for a few months now so it'll probably be fine.  That tree has seen some shit in it's life, all i have to say is it better live cause i didn't start a war with spider mites for no damn reason.
While i was checking the plants the greenhouse temperature started to get colder and colder so i panicked and called my father who is in Arizona and has no way of helping me. I cried and had a smoke and felt a little better. One of these days i'll work on the fact that instead of fixing the problem i panic and cry, i suppose i'm a work in progress. I called the furnace guys and they arrived and are in the process of fixing it. The temperature is climbing as i type this.
I also managed to get my thinning and trimming done on my onions.
Look how pretty!

2 comments:

  1. Try adding some ads to this blog, might turn in a bit of a profit.
    BTW, I was brought here by the Taste of Timmins Facebook page.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes i saw this morning that the Taste of Timmins shared my blog on facebook. Thanks guys!
      To be honest i wasn't sure if anyone would read my blog enough to warrant ads. I think i may look into it.

      Delete