Wednesday 6 March 2013

The Lemon Tree

This poor lemon tree has been through hell.
My mom bought it last summer and it ended up with a spider mite infestation of epic proportions. The whole thing was a web of spider mites, super gross. My mother attacked it after a while a killed all the mites (or so I thought). It's been sitting in the house being sad ever since, I'm pretty sure everyone forgot to water it for over a month and it lost all it's leaves but it was still kickin. 
So the other day I decide that I'm going to save this pitiful plant, I take it into the greenhouse and mix up some soil for it, transplant and prune it. Get it all set up and happy and then go about my business with the rest of the plants. 20min goes by and I wonder over to the pot and look in, I see one spider mite crawling around so I kill it, I think to myself "if there is one, there's more". So I wait another 20min and walk over and I don't see anything, I figure I've won the lottery of spider mites and it was just that loan little dude. WRONG, as I'm pondering on how lucky I am the soil erupts into what I can only describe as a scene from a horror movie on a very small scale. The roots ball starts moving the soil is vibrating, fucking spider mites erupting out of every where. I yelled like a little girl and threw my hands in the air, ran to the house and all i could find was Palmolive. i put some in a spray bottle with water and went to work on this plant. I sprayed the living shit out of it to the point that it was actually just a big mound of suds. I sprinkled cayenne pepper all over it and i made a ring of death around the pot just in case anything try's to escape. I beat them back and won the battle and now this tree has blooms on it for the first time since September. The plant later went into shock and has since lost all those blooms, but i haven't seen a spider mite since. It still has leaves, so at least that's better than sticks.


No comments:

Post a Comment