Tuesday 4 June 2013

Mother nature is a mean boss.

Well the weather has been pretty terrible the last few days with the temperature reaching -3 C at night. I covered everything in the garden and moved my onions into the garage. I've been in an absolute panic about my lettuce, mustard, and corn though. Turns out I've been grinding my teeth while i'm asleep, I've also had a few sleepless nights over it as well.
I went into the garden this morning to discover that everything has survived, we have a frost warning for tonight so i won't get too excited.
My onions are doing fairly well, the ones that are doing well are doing really well and the ones that aren't, are pretty much dead. My red onions seem very fragile and slow in comparison to my yellow and spanish onions.
Everything in the greenhouse is doing pretty well, my cucumber plants are getting really huge and so are the squash plants. Some of my tomato plants are 4ft high and blooming.
I'm excited to get everything in the ground, i wish mother nature was on my side though.

Edit: I forgot to add that my garden is a sloppy mess, the ground is so saturated that i have a mote around my rows. I couldn't check the lettuce to see if it survived because i couldn't get to it. The entire yard is clay and it will swallow my rubber boots if i'm not careful. So here's hoping my lettuce and spinach made it!

No comments:

Post a Comment